Taskforce on Clinical Education
CASN Task Force on Clinical Placements
To examine the current state of clinical placements in nursing education in Canada, and explore new approaches, with the goal of expanding available clinical placement possibilities for undergraduate nursing students.
Terms of Reference
- To conduct a literature review assessing innovative approaches and alternatives to clinical placements (in nursing and other health sciences).
- To advise on issues related to clinical placements, and develop a CASN position paper and/or guidelines in areas relevant to clinical placements.
- To present preliminary findings from the literature review, and facilitate dialogue among CASN member schools about the topic at the CASN Undergraduate Studies Forum on the afternoon of November 14th, 2012.
- To facilitate communication among committee members, faculties, CASN, and the Canadian and International nursing communities regarding clinical placements in nursing education.
- There shall be regular communications between the Co-Chairs of this Task Force and the Co-Chairs of the CASN Education Committee.
Term of Office and Membership
The term of office will be for one year (July 2012 – July 2013). The members of the Task Force will include:
- Two Co-Chairs from member schools’ undergraduate studies programs.
- Eight representatives from across Canada who have an expertise in, and/or are involved with, clinical placements for nursing students.
- A member of the CASN Board of Directors will be appointed to serve as a communication linkage between the Task Force and the Board of Directors.
The committee will normally meet by teleconference a minimum of two times per year and at other times, at the call of the Co-Chairs, to fulfill its mandate. Support for meetings and the work of the committee will be provided by the CASN Education Programs Coordinator. Approved: June 2012
Sandra Gordon (Co-Chair), School of Nursing, Mount Royal University
Nicole Harder (Co-Chair), Faculty of Nursing, University of Manitoba
Barbara Bleasdale, School of Nursing, Dalhousie University
Sandra De Luca, CASN Board of Directors, School of Nursing, Fanshawe College, Faculties of Health Sciences & Education, Arthur Labatt Family School of Nursing, University of Western Ontario
Kerry Lynn Durnford, School of Health & Human Services, Aurora College- Yellowknife, NT
Sandra Gessler, Faculty of Nursing, University of Manitoba
Catherine Hoe Eriksen, School of Nursing, Trinity Western University
Kathleen Lechasseur, Faculté des sciences infirmières, Université Laval
Claudine Morgan, School of Nursing, Memorial University
Alice Ormiston, Council of Ontario Universities
Brian Parker, Faculty of Health and Community Studies, Grant MacEwan University
Monica Reilly, Colleges Ontario
Jayne Smitten, Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta
Catherine Tompkins, School of Nursing, McMaster University
Barbara Turner, Western Regional School of Nursing
Bev Williams, CASN Board of Directors, School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, CASN Board of Directors
Linda Ferguson, CASN President (Ex officio)
Cynthia Baker, CASN Executive Director (Ex officio)
CASN Staff Liaison