This foundational overview of simulation for nurse educators addresses the pressing demand for a comprehensive and up-to-date resource for nurse educators teaching with simulation in the ever-evolving landscape of nursing education. The competencies outlined by the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing/Canadian Nurse Educators Institute (CASN/CNEI) for Simulation Nurse Educators serve as a guiding framework in this text for the exploration of the essential elements of simulation-based nursing education. These competencies encompass a wide spectrum of skills and knowledge areas that are necessary for nurse educators engaged in simulation-based pedagogy.
This text was created as an adjunct to the four modules of the Canadian certified simulation nurse educator (CCSNE) program and to provide nurse educators across Canada with updated information and resources to support them in incorporating innovative teaching methodologies into their teaching skill sets. The CCSNE program was developed to foster excellence in nursing education by providing faculty development in simulation-based pedagogy, practices, and technologies that follow the Healthcare Simulation Standards of Best PracticeTM (HSSOBP).
Recognizing the diversity of expertise among nurse educators in simulation-based pedagogy, this text offers a robust starting point for those seeking to enhance their teaching skills in simulation. There is a broad complement of practice learning needs for moving nursing education forward in the area of simulation-based pedagogy, and this text provides a foundation and starting point for learning.
Table of Contents
Introduction by Suzanne Hetzel Campbell, Nicole Harder, Marian Luctkar-Flude, & Jane Tyerman
- Theories of Simulation by Marian Luctkar-Flude, Celina Da Silva, & Jane Tyerman
- Scenario Design by Marian Luctkar-Flude, Jane Tyerman, & Laura Killam
- Facilitation by Louise-Andrée Brien, Suzanne Hetzel Campbell, & Nicole Harder
- Debriefing by Judy Bornais, Elizabeth Horsley, & Nicole Harder
- Evaluation by Leslie Graham & Jane Tyerman
- Interprofessional Education by Kelly Lackie, Suzanne Hetzel Campbell, Shelley Clarke, & Stephen Miller
- Simulated Participants in Nursing Education by Kimberley Pinel, Allyson Cooper, Kymberley Bontinen, & Tim Webster
- Virtual Simulation by Marian Luctkar-Flude, Jane Tyerman, & Erin Ziegler
- Hospital Usage by Jennifer Dale-Tam
- Scholarship by Patrick Lavoie
- Leadership by Kymberley Bontinen, Ana Erhardt, & Suzanne Hetzel Campbell
Appendix: CASN CCSNE Competencies
PDF e-book: $90
Paperback book: $150