Each year, the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (CASN) publishes data on the total numbers of nursing faculty and students across Canada. Unfortunately, CASN will not be publishing the 2018-2019 data as an insufficient number of schools replied to the survey. CASN requires a minimum of a 90% response rate from schools to publish data of sufficient quality, and we were not able to achieve this minimum for this data set. This was due to the Covid-19 pandemic, as many schools were working remotely, had a reduced staff, or had limited access to data for reporting.
This annual report supports health human resources planning in both the nursing service and nursing education sectors. It represents the fruit of a strong partnership among national and provincial/territorial bodies and effective collaborative relationships with multiple stakeholders.
The report provides data and statistical analysis of
- the number of pre-licensure graduates eligible to apply for initial licensure/registration and enter the registered nurse (RN) workforce;
- the number of RNs obtaining graduate qualifications;
- the number of nurse practitioner (NP) graduates;
- innovations in nursing education program access and delivery;
- the composition of faculty delivering nursing education; and
- faculty retention and recruitment.
The 2019-2020 National Student and Faculty Survey is slated to be published in November 2021.
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the 2018-2019 National Student and Faculty Survey.