Pas disponible en français.
Task Force on Nurse Practitioner Education
CASN Task Force on Nurse Practitioner Education
To revise the CASN position statement on NP education to include information on standards, to draft essential components of NP education and collaborate with the CNA Working Group on NP Education, towards the overall goal of expanding and improving NP education for nursing students.
Terms of Reference
- To review the status of NP education for nursing students across Canada by surveying CASN member schools.
- To identify issues, problems, barriers to providing NP education and experiences to undergraduate and graduate nursing students.
- To identify innovative approaches and new opportunities which CASN member schools are utilizing to provide NP education to nursing students.
- To develop essential components for NP education thereby aiming to promote a national consensus on quality education programs in Canada. The strategy should include CASN, partners, and potential funders. (SD-1.1, 1.3)
- To collaborate and liaise with the Education stream of the Canadian Nurse Practitioner Initiative with CNA.
- To report to the CASN Education Committee.
- There shall be regular communications between the Chair/Co-Chairs of this Task Force and the Co-Chairs of the Education Committee through the CASN National Office staff.
- To provide a final report to the Education Committee and Council by November 2012.
Term of Office and Membership
The term of Office will be at the discretion of the CASN Executive Committee. Voting members of the Task Force are
- The Chair/Co-Chairs of the Task Force will be selected from among the membership.
- CASN members with expertise in nurse practitioner education representing the Atlantic, Western, Ontario, and Québec regions.
- Three external representatives who are practicing NPs in Primary Health Care, Acute Care and Pediatric Care will be selected by the Task Force Members.
- A representative will be sought from the CNA Canadian Nurse Practitioner Exam Program.
- A representative from a nurse regulatory organization will be selected by the Task Force.
- A member of the CASN Board of Directors will be appointed to serve as a communication linkage between the Task Force and the Board of Directors.
The Task Force will normally meet by teleconference, a minimum of twice per year and at other times, at the call of the Chair/Co-Chairs, to fulfill its mandate. Support for meetings and the work of the Task Force will be provided by the CASN Education Programs Coordinator.
Approved by CASN Board of Directors: November 2010Amended and approved by the Executive Committee: January 2011Current Membership
Ruth Martin-Misener (Co-Chair), School of Nursing, Dalhousie University
Eric Staples (Co-Chair), School of Nursing, McMaster University
Mary Ellen Andrews, College of Nursing, University of Saskatchewan
Marilyn Ballantyne, School of Nursing, McMaster University
Donna Best, School of Nursing, Memorial University
Joyce Bruce, Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology (SIAST)
Louise Bujold, Faculté des sciences infirmières, Université Laval
Kristina Chapman, IWK Health Centre
Faith Donald, Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing, Ryerson University
Carol Ewashen, CASN Board of Directors, Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary
Karen Graham, School of Health & Human Services, Aurora College
Kathleen Hunter, Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Glenrose Hospital Specialized Geriatric Services
Rosanne Jabbour, College of Nurses of Ontario
Judith McFetridge Durdle, CASN Board of Directors, School of Nursing, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Monica Parry, Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto
Paula Prendergast, College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
Christine Patterson, School of Nursing, McMaster University
Josette Roussel, Canadian Nurses Association
Esther Sangster-Gormley, School of Nursing, University of Victoria
Lynnette Leeseberg Stamler, South Dakota State University
Linda Ferguson, CASN President (Ex-officio)
Cynthia Baker, CASN Executive Director (Ex-officio)
CASN Staff Liaison